In the early 1950s, Assemblies of God missionaries responded to requests from American military personnel in Europe for spiritual help. In answer to this need, the “Fellowship Group” concept was born, whereby lay leaders could conduct Pentecostal services on local military installations in keeping with military regulations.
On a surprisingly cold September day in 1955, a servicemen’s retreat was held at the Berean Bible School located in Erzhausen, Germany. When the soldiers asked why the heat was not on, it was explained that there were no funds for fuel. (September was normally warm.)
The men immediately collected $1000 and within hours, the heat was on.
That was the first Berean Missionary Offering. In the months following, regular offerings began to come in to help support military fellowships and the Bible school.
Because of faithful giving, the Berean Missionary Fund was established, which later became the Berean Missionary Fellowship. When this was renamed Assemblies of God Military Ministries, AGMM was born.
Untold numbers have found Christ as Savior, been filled with the Holy Spirit, are now serving God in their home churches as pastors or missionaries, and are using their talents and gifts to spread the Gospel of Christ around the world.
Today, AGMM Europe is a Pentecostal fellowship that, through AG missionaries in cooperation with US chaplains, reaches US military personnel, DoD workers, and civilians in Europe.
- Annual retreats
- Leadership training conferences
- Bible correspondence courses
- A means for military personnel to channel funds, through the Centurion Fund, into missions projects in Europe such as Bible colleges, orphanages, national churches, Teen Challenge, etc.
In this new millennium, there is great expectancy and hope within the church of Jesus Christ. We believe that at this very moment, God is strategically planting “His messengers” in Europe called THE U.S. MILITARY. Their bold mission: To help awaken the sleeping spiritual giant of Europe and the world to the Gospel’s message in preparation for Christ’s return.
We are not on our own for we have a Bible-based, Christ-centered and Holy Spirit empowered message by which we can accomplish this task.
- To have Assemblies of God fellowships and outstations at every military site in Europe, evangelical in witness and with a distinctive Pentecostal style of worship.
- For soldiers and their families to know salvation, to be discipled in Jesus Christ and to be trained in a ministry that will be employed now and in the future.
- That each fellowship provide a “family style” atmosphere in which to nurture family members of deployed soldiers.
- To work hand-in-hand with the chaplains in accomplishing the spiritual utmost for personnel stationed in Europe.